Ten Questions with Raquel Leid of Always Leid
You probably know by now that I’m a huge fan of easy to wear clothing that still makes a statement. When I saw the Always Leid collection which Grenadian Raquel Leid showed at the Pompasette Brunch Party earlier this year, it definitely fit the bill. The vibrant prints and
- When did Always Leid get started? What prompted you to begin designing?
Always Leid started in March 2014. I have always been obsessed with fashion and started ‘sketching’ when I was around six years old and began dabbling in DIY projects during my teenage years. In 2013, I was accepted into fashion school, but could not go due to financial restrictions. However, I didn’t let that deter me. I went ahead and bought a sewing machine and began watching sewing tutorials on YouTube. At the end of 2013, I did my first showcase at a fashion show that featured pieces made out of unconventional materials and I haven’t looked back since.
2. Your clothing is impactful yet easy to wear. How does your personal style factor into your designs?
I love pairing and mixing simple silhouettes with punchy prints and bold colors. Comfort and versatility are also very important to me. You should be able to wear your Always Leid pieces to an all-inclusive fete, brunch with the girls or to run errands if you so please!
3. What types of materials do you like to work with?
I pretty much obsess over breathable fabrics that feel luxurious yet comfortable on the skin.
4. Describe the Always Leid woman.
The Always Leid Girl/Woman is quirky, bold and stylish. She believes that fashion is an artform and as a result she treats her clothes like wearable art. Her clothes speak volumes about her personality and make a statement when she enters the room. Print and colour speak to her personal style, boost her mood and instil a sense of excitement.
5. What would you say is your biggest achievement to date with Always Leid?
It was definitely a milestone when I was able to launch the Always Leid website and online shop. I believe it has solidified the brand’s presence and has made the ordering process more convenient for my clients.
6. Which designers do you look up to?
Stella Jean Roma
7. What’s do you see in the future of the brand?
My long-term goal is for Always Leid to be a fashion and lifestyle brand renowned for individuality, creativity and fearless self-expression. I’m currently in the early stages of my next collection and continuing to build my styling portfolio. Also, I’m definitely looking into branching off into menswear!
8. You’re also a stylist. Tell us about that journey.
Putting together looks is one of my absolute favourite things to do. I believe that one’s personal style can be used to speak volumes without actually saying anything. I have a certificate in Fashion Styling and I’m currently enrolled in Fashion Product Development, both from the London College of Fashion. I currently do freelance work as a now certified fashion stylist as I continue to build my portfolio.
9. What are your wardrobe must-haves?
Shift/ T-shirt dresses
10. How can we get some Always Leid pieces in our wardrobes?
You can check out our online shop at http://shop.alwaysleid.com/
Others cool posts you may want to read:
Links à la Mode, Aug 16th, 2018
- A Girl in LA: My New Obsession: Simply Earth Essential Oils Recipe Box + How to WIN One!
- Fashion to Live: 12 Year Anniversary Lookbook 2018- Havana, Cuba Plaza De La Revevolucion : Striped Jumpsuit + Heeled Sandals
- Glam By Shey: 5 Ways to Shop and Save Money
- Have Clothes, Will Travel: Gingham Shirtdress for the Beach
- In My Wardrobe Barbados: The (Mis)adventures of Swimsuit Shopping
- Knowing My Style: Florals with Tamar Landau
- Krystin Tysire: The Fall Trends You Need Now
- Purushu: 12 Funny, Weird & WTF Google Search Suggestions on Fashion
- Sifa’s Corner: Dr. Lip Bang’s Lip Freak Tinted Lip Balm: Review, Swatches, Thoughts
- What Vru Wore: What to Wear in Summer in San Francisco
SPONSOR: Amazon’s Shopbop Deepa Gurnani, Hat Attack, Marc Jacobs Accessories, The Mighty Company, Maison Mayle, Ewa Herzog, Blue Blouses, Toe Ring Sandals, Shopbop Reviews, Men’s Isaora