8 Reasons Your Style Game Is Struggling
Consider this your ultimate style guide to start the year. Even if you’re not into New Year’s Resolutions, January is as good a time as any to start making improvements in your style game. Impressions matter and people see us and form opinions even before we speak.
If you want your outfit to say good things about you, you may need to get rid of some bad habits. I’ve identified some of the reasons you may be struggling and included links to previous posts which will help you to get going.
Read on and see how you may be sabotaging your style and how you can do better.
1. You don’t shop smart. This may sound obvious but you can only wear what you’ve bought. If you purchase frumpy, ill-fitting clothing because it’s cheap, you will pay the price. Ditto if you purchase a bunch of random clothing that doesn’t work together. Here’s how to shop sales smartly. If you’re doing that shopping online, there some things you need to bear in mind as well.
2. You haven’t taken the time to learn your personal style. Finding out which clothing styles you like, which cuts are most flattering on you and where those two things intersect can be challenging. You need to figure out what works best for you, your job and your lifestyle. Start working on that here.
3. You’re too obsessed with trends. Not only will some trends be woefully unflattering on you, but you’ll soon end up with a closet full of outdated pieces. It’s best to have several timeless pieces and choose your trends carefully.
4. You think you can wear clothing straight off the rack. You may get lucky sometimes but quite often hemlines or sleeves need to be shortened or waistbands may be slightly too big. If you can’t do alteration yourself, find someone who is capable. It will make all the difference.
5. You don’t pay attention to foundation garments. As with most things, if you start wrong, you’ll end wrong. Even if no one is going to see your underwear, they will see the effect it has on your overall look. Here are your guides to choosing the right bras, panties and shapewear.
6. You think looking put together has to take a lot of time. I won’t lie. In the initial stages you will have to spend some time learning which brands/styles fit you best and which stores are ideal for you. Once you create a cohesive wardrobe, choosing an outfit every morning will be a breeze. Here are some tips on uniform dressing and getting ready in a hurry.
7. You’re doing too much. If your style is more eclectic, this may not apply to you but generally, less is more. Your outfit should ideally have one focal point. If your jacket is bold, your necklace shouldn’t be doing the most. It doesn’t get much simpler than black and white in my books.
8. You’re not taking care of your items. Wear and tear occur naturally but there are some things you can do to preserve clothing and accessories. Washing instructions are on your garments for a reason. Read them! Also, keep that costume jewellery from tarnishing for as long as possible.
Did I leave out a particular challenge you’re facing? Drop a comment below or send a message on Facebook and I’ll try to help. Let’s make this year stylish!