Kadooment Day is just under two weeks away and if you’re jumping, you should have almost everything you need by now. But even if you’re a real Carnival Child, you may still be hunting for the perfect shoes to complement your costume.
Boots have become a very popular alternative to sneakers in recent years. As a Soca Soldier you’ll want to command attention when you touch down but you don’t want to be the laughing stock of your crew when you’re hobbling by midday.
Even if you’re shopping last minute, there are a few things you should consider to ensure you get the most comfortable fit.
1. If you don’t want to go totally flat, choose a manageable wedge over a heel since you’re going to be on your feet all day. If you must have a heel, make sure it’s not a stiletto. That’s a recipe for a Major Disaster.
2. Pointy toes will make your legs look longer but for many women, a round toe will make you feel feel better while you’re on Parade.
3. Make sure the boot is padded. Remember the goal is to be as comfortable as possible while you’re misbehaving.
4. Try the boots with socks in the store so you know if you need to go up a half size. You don’t want to find out your shoes are too tight just as soon as you “touch de road”.
5. Make sure the boot isn’t too heavy. You’re going to be wearing them for a long time and you don’t want your feet to get too tired too early. Remember, tomorrow WILL come and unless you begged the boss for vacation you’ll have to go to work.
If you’re wondering where to get your boots, check out The Shoe Palace in Collonade Mall (formerly Dacosta’s Mall). They have a wide range of styles and colours as shown above.
Happy shopping and happy jumping!